Insurances.net
insurances.net » Finance » Mirror's Edge Review - You're a Runner… So Run!
Finance Investing Loans Personal-Finance Taxes Loan quotes
]

Mirror's Edge Review - You're a Runner… So Run!

Story: 8 / 10

Story: 8 / 10

Mirror's Edge is seen from the eyes of Faith, a Runner. Runners are the only way to transport information past the watchful eye of the totalitarian government in power. The government's police force are referred to as "Blue" and are trying to stop the Runner's from transmitting secret information across the rooftops. Life as a Runner isn't easy and Faith takes a very inconvenient twist to start the game. Her sister, a Blue, is framed for murder and to make matters worse, Faith is seen fleeing from the scene. Her investigation will reveal that there is more to the case than meets the eye, as she will have to get to the bottom of it. Hopefully you will be able to take your skills as a Runner to the next level and clear Faith's sister's name while evading the Blue! Good Luck!

Gameplay: 8 / 10

The gameplay in Mirror's Edge revolves around free running and this is a new and original feeling in gaming. The control scheme is simple but you can do a lot with just a few buttons. Faith can do everything from sliding, to wall running, to climbing, and much more. The moves can also be combined with others to make for some pretty complicated moves to get to those hard to reach places...well, seemingly hard to reach!

While the free running works great, the combat does not. Faith can punch, kick, and disarm. Often times I felt that the disarm motion wasn't queued up correctly, because it seemed impossible. I mostly went the route of just subduing enemies with my fists, even if it was extremely basic and boring. The combat is very basic and, like I said, the disarm motion doesn't always work quite right, making the melee even more boring.

Luckily, you spend most of your time running and evading, so you don't have to use your melee or gun skills too often. In fact, you can make it through the entire game without using a gun to shoot an enemy!

Graphics: 9 / 10

The graphics and presentation in Mirror's Edge are what really bring it all together. The rooftops in the game use a very plain color palate, but this works perfectly with the storyline that focuses on a totalitarian government. Although I say plain, the colors still jump out at you and are deep, just don't expect any rainbows! The texture rendering in the game is spectacular. I felt that you could reach out and touch things and everything from a concrete wall to a steel rail would feel real.

The cut scenes between chapters are presented in an artistic fashion that gives the game some originality. It is somewhat like a unique anime cartoon but not quite. They are somewhat ironic feeling, since the gameplay looks so realistic, but it is a good change of pace when playing. In both game and story cutscenes, the game looks fantastic. Although you're supposed to be running sometimes, you will want to stop and stare!

The menus (in the Title Screen) also have a high level of polish and look great. They remind me of the menus and credits from the The Bourne Trilogy. Thought I would just add it in here, since I found this very interesting!

Sound: 8 / 10

Mirror's Edge shines in the sound department as well. The theme song plays lightly through running parts of the game and a more urgent song plays, while you are being chased by the Blue. Both fit perfectly and the theme song will make you feel like you are gliding when free running. The sound effects are fitting yet basic and the vocal work is great. The main characters are not developed much, but the voice work there is spot on and feels genuine. Again, everything here adds to the game and feel without holding it back or slowing it down.

Challenge/Replay Value: 6 / 10

The storyline in Mirror's Edge won't take even the most inexperienced beginner more than 7-8 hours. There are a good list of achievements/trophies however, so you will likely play through at least twice. There is a time trials mode in which your scores will be ranked against all other players through online scoreboards. This can be fun and has its own trophies, but like the storyline, it doesn't take up a whole lot of time. The short storyline and lack of a true multiplayer mode leave little to seek out after your first two playthroughs.

Overall, the game is great and deserves at least a rental from anyone who likes fast paced action. The polish of the graphics in Mirror's Edge is beautiful to look at and when combined with the free running gameplay, you will certainly be impressed. Although you won't get a ton of time out of it, I guarantee you will enjoy the time you do.

Overall Score: 8 / 10

Mirror's Edge Review - You're a Runner So Run!

By: gamepodunk
Earn Money Fast—One Time, Big Time Available Free Grant Money For Minority Information Applying For Financial Support: Some Significant Steps To Follow Lipo-6 Hers Black Reviews Applying For Financial Support: General Requirements Pounds till Payday – Obtain Money for Handling Urgent Expenses Sim only deals- Getting Popularity for saving your Hard earned money Personalized financial solution provider Finance Operations Manager Applying For Financial Aid: Eligibility Status And Other Issues This Is My Day Trading Robot Review XoCo Slim Review Review Of The Newest Card Embossing Machine
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.145.50.222) / Processed in 0.009050 second(s), 5 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 35 , 4777, 385,
Mirror's Edge Review - You're a Runner… So Run!