Insurances.net
insurances.net » Finance » A Quick Review Of Office 2010 Starter Edition
Finance Investing Loans Personal-Finance Taxes Loan quotes
]

A Quick Review Of Office 2010 Starter Edition

On a routine service call for computer repair in Phoenix

, I helped a customer set up her new Dell computer. What was really nice was that it also came with the Starter edition of Microsoft Office 2010, which is free and should be available on all new OEM computers from manufacturers such as Dell, HP, Compaq, Acer, etc. The way to get started is to click the shortcut to Microsoft Office 2010 in the All Programs menu, and you will need to be connected to the Internet for the installation to proceed.

Installation was quick and easy - the setup program asks you what edition you want - you of course have to pay for any edition above the Starter package, which comes with "scaled down" versions of Word and Excel only. After I chose the Starter edition, the program downloaded and installed it all within about 5-10 minutes on a 1.5 Meg connection. I started the Excel first, after copying shortcuts onto the desktop for the customer, and it came up quickly on the Dell laptop.

This version of Excel was quite feature-rich, surprisingly. I was quite pleased with it as I could do almost anything that I would normally do in Excel. The primary features unavailable in this version are the macros, VBA, and other more advanced formatting that the average person normally might not use. I was able to use my regular formulas and format my spreadsheet the way I wanted.

Word, on the other hand, had headers and footers stripped out so students will be missing those features unless they purchase a different version - I would recommend the Home and Student edition for this reason which is reasonably priced. This version of Word, just like Excel, is also missing macros and VBA.

Considering this is a free version of Microsoft Office, I felt that the features were adequate overall (except for students as noted) for the average user. If you have purchased OEM computers in the past, you may notice something missing: Microsoft Works or Microsoft Works Suite. This is because the Starter version of Office replaces Works Suite. You won't get everything that Works Suite had, either. Another downfall of the Starter edition is that it is ad supported. A rotating ad takes up some of the screen real estate. If you would like to try a truly free and feature rich office suite, check out the Open Office suite at www.openoffice.org. You will get a spreadsheet application, word processor, and presentation software. They aren't 100% Office compatible but they come close.

I hope this has been helpful to you. Lastly, please feel free to check out my business website at http://www.mobiletechcomputerrepair.com if you would like to learn more about our products and services or need computer repair in Phoenix or the Verde Valley area of Arizona. I would be glad to help you with your computer!

by: David Glick
How To Borrow Money, Manage It, And Still Be Secure Earn Money By Selling Other People's Zerona Laser Evaluation And Review For Plastic Surgeons & Dermatologists You Already Have The Ability To Achieve Financial Freedom Building Playgrounds Can Help You Make Money How To Generate Private Money Making Money By Selling Other People's Electrolux Vacuum Is The Best Tool To Clean Your Floor Review: Outlook Shade-a-Babe UV Buggy Shades Common Sense With Respect To Availing Budget Cruise Promos Perfect For All Season For Older People Riding Around In Money Universal Life Secrets Review A comprehensive Review on Ashmax
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.146.176.88) / Processed in 0.008597 second(s), 5 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 12 , 2869, 385,
A Quick Review Of Office 2010 Starter Edition