Board logo

subject: Bmw 530i Reviewed [print this page]

It's the only model that gets a larger engineIt's the only model that gets a larger engine. Not just any engine either, because the production of BMW's latest generation of in-line sixes is the most important of the measures designed to prepare the 5 Series for its twilight years.

The cosmetic elements of the facelift are negligible. There are new front and rear lights, a new front bumper and grille. There have also been a number of across-the-board equipment upgrades and the division of the range in two distinct streams - Executive and Sport. The latter is equipped as standard with the previously optional M Sport suspension package and shorter gearing.

In the 530I, the important equipment upgrades include a standard on-board color LCD monitor and Park Distance Control, which allows drivers to park by ear without physical contact with other cars. While the on-board monitor delivers television and trip computer, sat-nav is an extra-cost option. It was fitted into the test car.

The new 3.0 litre is a mighty impressive engine. What really gets your attention is the 170kW maximum power output - 20% more than the old 2.8 and only 10kW short of the half-litre larger 3.5-litre V8. But while the engine's flexibility, smoothness and unmistakably muscular eagerness are all delightful, it ain't quite perfect.

With the M54 engine range, BMW's aims were better response, cleaner emissions, lower consumption. One of the key changes, along with a new inlet manifold and making the timing of both camshafts variable, is the introduction of a fly-by-wire throttle. Use the engine hard and it's faultless.

But during gentle acceleration at low speeds the throttle dither, surging slightly despite steady pressure on the pedal. And the new M54 doesn't sound quite as silkily technical as before. At low revs there's even a faint hint of Falcon six from the 530I's engine bay.

While the 5 Series' body feels as convincingly sturdy as ever, the 530I Executive's handling seems like it has lost a little of its edge. Not that it's bad, but even the slight floatiness isn't what you'd expect in a BMW.

And, finally, don't be seduced by the techno glamour of sat-nav. Although BMW has worked longer on developing a mapping package for Australia than any other maker, the system is far from bug-free. New roads, not yet added to the map CD, flummox the system. Less excusable are the system's occasional failures to provide a direction at intersections and its mystifying refusal to accurately accept my home address. It insisted instead on taking me to a place four doors away.

by: Wolfe Tone.

welcome to Insurances.net (https://www.insurances.net) Powered by Discuz! 5.5.0   (php7, mysql8 recode on 2018)