Board logo

subject: Ivy Bar - Sydney, NSW - Review [print this page]

Prior to its opening and then after the doors were unlocked in early 2009, Ivy has been the talk of Sydney town. Whether it was reports of the police not wanting the complex to open because of a possible increase in anti social behaviour, news of the decadent design or gossip about the owner, Justin Hemmes hooking up with the latest "it" girl, Ivy has been the bar / club on everyone's lips. I'd heard so many reports about this place. Some were great and others weren't. I must admit I'm generally not a fan of huge, commercialized watering holes and I almost felt like I couldn't agree to go there as a reviewer for fear of going with very preconceived ideas. However, when a place took $180 million to build and four years to get Council approval, why wouldn't I want to see what all the fuss is about.

It was a cold and wet May evening when my friend and I headed there. The first thing we noticed is the bar/nightclub is split into two. One entry gets you into the main part of the place which provides patrons with a huge selection of eating, drinking and lounging opportunities, each one different from the next. This entry is also the door to shopping heaven. Stores like Sass & Bide, , Ginger & Smart and Peter Alexander call this precinct home. The second entry point, is located just a little further down George St. With security guards everywhere to tick off names and OK outfits, this passage is the door to the exclusive Pool Club.

I'm not quite sure I'm able to call Ivy a club - its shear hugeness makes me want to dub it a precinct of some sort. For me, it's an ambitious take on an American style complex with just about everything over the top. Walk in to the main floor where the bench tops are marble, the carpet turquoise and the bars title lines the walls. Furniture in this room is retro, but is very different to the deck chairs and umbrellas in the outside area on this level which provide for a very relaxed feel [would be perfect in summer]. Near by is the Lawn Bar where there is a sprinkler system that I'm sure is there just for show. Girls, there is even a strip of grass in this area so watch the heals here. Up a level is the Ivy Lounge - an up market spot complete with a chandelier, but this bar does seem to be for a 30 something crowd. Next stop is the Den. It's no wonder bootylicious reality TV star, Kim Kardashian was found in this part of the place on her recent trip to Australia. If I was famous I'd want to sit it in an intimate, classy place like the Den what with its silver, full length mirrors, green sofas and red pillows.

What everyone I know has really been gushing over is the notable, Pool Club. It's no wonder Ivy got the Gone for best new design at the 2009 Australianbar awards and Time Out Magazine voted it Bar of the year. Believe it! There is actually a 25 metre pool with small bars and cosy cabanas dotted around the decking. Apparently, the aim of the uba cool Pool Club is to give you the feeling of holidaying in the south of France or Palm Springs. Never having been to either of these destinations, I totally channel this vibe with my $17 Bikini Ballini in one hand and a slice of my slightly cold pizza in the other. I didn't find the toppings [eggplant, mushrooms, baby spinach and tomato], tasty at all - must have been a bad week at the organic farmers market. The base was the perfect thickness, but was a very disappointingly cool temperature. I felt like it had been cooked and then left to sit for a while. Apart from pizzas, there is a few traditional types of pasta for the good looking, professional, smooth talking, 24 plus crowd. They seem like a glamorous bunch prepared to party any night of the week. One of the many party people out on the Friday night we were there was RNB sensation, Usher.

I'm sure many of these hotties have eaten at Ecello - the swanky Italian restaurant alongside the Pool Club. It's a bit on the expensive side, but if that's what you're into, try the arancini, zucchini flowers and the angel hair pasta with crab, garlic and chilli. Other food choices at Ivy are Mad Cow. Australian Gourmet Traveller says the steaks are gold, ranging between $38 and $75. While Teppanyaki has an after 11 night noodle menu, Sushi Choo has amazing sashimi. Ash St Seller - a Parisian style wine bar - provides tapas you'd think you'd normally have for breakfast. Highlights are the fluffy scrambled eggs with a side of brioche, tasty warm toast topped with sauteed mushrooms and the Gorgonzola fondue is creamy bliss. But it's not all over priced food here. The Royal George has $10 jugs of beer and great pub grub for 10 bucks during the week - all our favourites like chicken schnitzel, fish and chips or Shepherds Pie.

Sure, owner, Justin Hemmes has a bit of a play boy image. He's always got a beautiful notable lady on his arm and he is regularly spotted zipping around in his Lamborghini. The guy even owns a boat, a stack of other top notch bars andnightclubs around Sydney - he's even responsible for the Good Vibrations festival. I don't think it is any surprise he took this bold move in opening Ivy. I think it will be a huge success - offering food, drinks and settings for all occasions and people. Do I think some of the decor, prices and attitude of the people who frequent the bar are over the top and highly over rated? My oath!

I'm certainly glad I went. I mean, I've never been to Nice or Vegas. While it would be lovely to visit those spots once in a lifetime for a bit of fun, like Ivy, I'm not sure I'd return in a hurry.

Ivy Bar - Sydney, NSW - Review

By: barsandnightclubs

welcome to Insurances.net (https://www.insurances.net) Powered by Discuz! 5.5.0   (php7, mysql8 recode on 2018)